I was so excited to do a cake smash for my girl's first birthday after helping my friend Vanessa do one for her boys Jaxson and Turner back in March (WOW! Has it been that long already?) I borrowed her giant cupcake pan (Isn't it adorable?) and her icing gun and got words of wisdom and tried it out. The biggest concern is what they were going to wear??!?!? Isn't that what is always the biggest worry for us girls? :o) So I decided on these bright colored $1 dresses I had found at Wal-mart. Berkeley had already ripped one from crawling so I figured they would do.
I had done a practice cake just like Vanessa suggested but I chose to use Lemon Cake because we would be eating this one and that is one of my favorites. Lemon batter isn't as thick as
chocolate batter. I had bought strawberry cake for the girls so when they dug into it the pink would show. But then I had second thoughts and decided I would like the dark chocolate. So this morning I loaded everyone up and exchanged the cake mix. No I had not baked the cakes the day before like Vanessa had suggested. So my plan was to put the girls down for a nap and bake them then. Well you see all this week every morning nap one of the girls has decided that a nap was NOT for them. Today that was Berkeley which was surprising considering she was up from 4:00am to 6:00am the night before keeping both Troy and I awake. The best we can guess was the beans we fed her the night before at the County Line was NOT a good idea. So I made my first cake, and you see Vanessa had told me to just fill it up 3/4 way for the bottom part so I did that the first time with the lemon cake (remember thinner batter) Well the bottom wasn't as tall as I wanted it so I decided on the chocolate cupcake to fill it a little higher. BIG mistake. When
I took it out it had expanded way more than the other one and when I stuck a knife down the middle, there was tons of batter on the knife. Back into the oven it went. Tried it again. Thought it looked better and when I flipped it out of the pan to cool off all the batter that was in the middle came pouring out. YIKES!! My mom had already taken the afternoon off to help me and so I could borrow her very nice Nikon camera that I REALLY want myself. So you can say I was a little tense in trying to get it right. So my next go around I put less in and it came out perfect. I luckily had enough batter leftover to make another bottom. I iced both cakes as both girls played with their brothers and were eating lunch. By the time we were done and the girls were dressed we thought we had run out of time and put them down to nap. NOT! They both cried and cried so we fed them both a bottle (yes I know they are suppose to be getting rid of those things, it is just taking us a little bit) When they were done they were both happy as can be and my mom and I decided it would be a great time to smash some cakes.
I took it out it had expanded way more than the other one and when I stuck a knife down the middle, there was tons of batter on the knife. Back into the oven it went. Tried it again. Thought it looked better and when I flipped it out of the pan to cool off all the batter that was in the middle came pouring out. YIKES!! My mom had already taken the afternoon off to help me and so I could borrow her very nice Nikon camera that I REALLY want myself. So you can say I was a little tense in trying to get it right. So my next go around I put less in and it came out perfect. I luckily had enough batter leftover to make another bottom. I iced both cakes as both girls played with their brothers and were eating lunch. By the time we were done and the girls were dressed we thought we had run out of time and put them down to nap. NOT! They both cried and cried so we fed them both a bottle (yes I know they are suppose to be getting rid of those things, it is just taking us a little bit) When they were done they were both happy as can be and my mom and I decided it would be a great time to smash some cakes.When we put the girls down I was surprised because I made the prediction that Zoey (my very cautious one) would not like it at all and Berkeley (Balls to the walls one) would nose dive into it. Berkeley was very hesitant and kept crawling away and Zoey very gently started touching and tasting until she was pounding away. Berkeley crawled away at least 5 times before she finally got the hang of it and started enjoying herself. I just snapped away hoping something would come out! Here are just a few of the over 700 pictures I took. They are not edited!





1 comment:
Love them!! You did a great job!
Post a Comment